We’re accepting applications for the programme Dear Doc 2023.
The Dear Doc programme aims to make accessible and deepen the pedagogical and collective dimensions of Doc’s Kingdom – International Documentary Film Seminar. This year, as well as covering the participation in the seminar, the programme includes a series of talks and activities on the two days leading up to the start of the seminar, November 28 and 29.
— 4 “Dear Doc Fellowships” will be granted to students or emerging professionals working within the field of cinema (film critics, programmers, researchers, directors and artists, editors, producers and distributors), of Portuguese nationality or resident in Portugal.
— 2 “Dear Doc New Fellowships for Programmers” will be offered to film programmers or curators of any nationality.
— Thanks to a new partnership with ECAM – Escuela de Cinematografía y del Audiovisual de la Comunidad de Madrid, a student from their Master’s programme in Film Criticism will join this small team of participants.
In 2023, the Dear Doc programme focuses above all on thinking and transmission, stimulating a dialogue between the Doc’s Kingdom Archive and the artistic programme, which this year is dedicated to the notion of montage. Dear Doc aims to stimulate the collaborative creation of knowledge and the production of written and audio materials that remain beyond the end of the seminar.
1. Who is the programme Dear Doc 2023 for:
— The “Dear Doc New Fellowship for Programmers” are intended for people with previous experience in film programming, with no restrictions on nationality or country of residence. Two individual fellowships will be offered. Preference will be given to people who have never participated in Doc’s Kingdom, making them able to apply for the annual call for programmers.
— The “Dear Doc Fellowships” are intended for students and emerging professionals in the field of cinema with Portuguese nationality or residence in Portugal. Four individual fellowships will be offered. Anyone who has received a Dear Doc fellowship in the past cannot apply again.
2. In 2023, the Dear Doc program will focus on critical thought and transmission around the Doc’s Kingdom Archive and the artistic programming of this edition, particularly focused on the notion of montage. Profiles with an interest in writing, criticism, podcasts, programming, research, mediation, collaborative and educational practices will be privileged.
3. The fellowships cover participation in Doc’s Kingdom 2023 in Odemira, including access to all sessions, debates and other activities scheduled between November 28 and December 5, 2023. The fellowship includes accommodation, food, and on-site transportation, but does not cover transportation between Odemira and the place of residence.
3.1 The two grants for programmers include an additional support of €200 to support travel expenses.
4. The Dear Doc programme includes participation in exclusive activities in the two days prior to the seminar, on 28 and 29 November, organised under three axes:
— Encounters: conversations with programmers, researchers and film professionals around topics related to the seminar programme.
— Immersion: sessions for listening, reading, and analysis based on materials from the Doc’s Kingdom Archive. Preparation for the seminar and the collective discussions after the sessions.
— Creation: co-elaboration of an audio piece (podcast) using archives, available texts, interviews with filmmakers and participants present. Elaboration of short texts about the seminar and the films screened, interviews, essays.
5. The acceptance of the Dear Doc fellowship for Doc’s Kingdom 2023 implies participation in the full program of activities in Odemira, as well as the delivery of an individual report by December 15, 2023.
5.1 The “Dear Doc New Fellowship for Programmers” also involves the moderation of a collective debate during the seminar.
6. The application period runs until November 3rd (until midnight). The selection is the responsibility of the Doc’s Kingdom team, and the results will be publicly announced by November 14, with no place for appeal.
7. The fellowship of the Dear Doc program for programmers is only definitively validated after confirmation of acceptance and fulfilment of the conditions described.
8. Applying to the Dear Doc program does not guarantee the reservation of a place as a participant in the Doc’s Kingdom seminar.
9. Doc’s Kingdom is not responsible for any problem that arises during the stay in Odemira, which is outside the scope of the program or the accommodations guaranteed by the seminar.
10. Doc’s Kingdom is an open and inclusive space for the international community of participants – filmmakers, participants, fellows, visitors, staff and partners. In this space, debate is natural and welcome, as long as it is always guided by mutual respect and civility. Anyone who witnesses an anomalous situation should alert a member of the team, or write to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for applications: November 3, at midnight (GMT+1).
Please send a short bio and motivation letter through this link.